What is a thunder tube?
A thunder tube is a percussion instrument which, when played, mimics the sounds of a thunder storm. The thunder tube is played by creating vibrations with a metal coil which is attached to a cardboard tube by gently wiggling the tube from side to side. These vibrations echo inside the cardboard tube to produce a sound very similar to thunder. The thunder tube is an easy instrument to play and it makes very realistic sound effects!
Supplies you need to make a thunder tube:
- an empty potato chip can with the plastic lid discarded
- a metal coil (approximately 1 and a half feet long)
- a glue gun
- paper (enough to cover your potato chip can)
- something to decorate your thunder tube with (paints, stickers, markers, etc.)
1. Use scissors to poke a small hole in the bottom of the potato chip can, and then stick one end of the metal coil through the hole.
2. With the help of an adult, use the glue gun to glue the metal coil in place so that it does not rattle around.
3. Cover the potato chip can with paper and secure with tape.
4. Decorate your thunder tube however you like. Be creative; you can use paint, markers, crayons, stickers, glue, and other supplies to make your thunder tube unique.
5. To play your thunder tube, gently wiggle the instrument from side to side and hear the sound of thunder!