Saturday, November 13, 2010

Using Instruments In A Sound Story

One fun way to use these instruments is to use them in a sound story. A sound story involves reading a story and using instruments to create sound effects for parts of the story. Below is a poem I wrote called "Stormy Day". To make "Stormy Day" into a sound story, we can play the instruments from earlier posts to make sound effects of different types of weather.

Stormy Day


"I woke up to the sound of rain
Soft droplets on my windowpanes

I groaned and said “Great, rain again,”

I hoped it wouldn’t storm


Bright lightning then lit up the room

And seconds later came a BOOM

I shivered and my day felt doomed

I really hated storms


And then the wind began to howl

A shrieking, hissing type of growl

My mood was getting very foul

I could not stand a storm


Then from the sky came snow and sleet

I couldn’t stay home; I had people to meet

I heard it crunching beneath my feet

The snow from the darned storm


Then suddenly the skies were clear

The sun shined brightly full of cheer

and then I lost all sense of fear

I was free from that awful storm!


I met my friends down at the school

To joke and play and jest and fool

We threw snowballs and acted cool

and we laughed about the storm"


To use your instruments with this poem:

- Play your rainstick when you hear the word "rain"

- Play your thundertube when you hear the word "BOOM"

- Play your wind bottles when you hear the word "wind"

- Play your sand blocks when you hear the word "crunching"

- Play your sun chimes when you hear the word "sun"


Another good weather-themed story to use these instruments with is "Stormy Weather" by Debi Gliori

No comments:

Post a Comment